exclamation point
Because the next election is within the next 14 days, registering to vote through this website won't allow you to vote in the upcoming election. You can still vote in the upcoming election but you will need to take additional steps. Here’s how: Registering to Vote within 14 Days of Election

Vote in person

You can vote early with an absentee ballot at your local election clerk’s office during the 40 days before an upcoming election. On Election Day, registered voters must vote at their local polling place. Unregistered voters must go to their clerk’s office to register and vote there or at their polling place. Use this page to learn more about voting in a polling place. Call your clerk before you go, as some locations may change because of COVID-19.

Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time. You have the right to vote if you are in line by 8 p.m.

Where do I go to vote?

You can look up the locations of your clerk’s offices and your polling place in the voter information section of this website.

What should I expect?

Voting systems can vary from county to county, so learn about what to expect before you arrive at the polls on election day.

View specific information about voting equipment in your county

View specific information about Hart, ES & S and Dominion voting systems

How to vote at your polling place

Voting in person

Do I need an ID?

You will be asked to show ID when you check in to vote. If you don’t have one, you can still vote.

If this happens, expect a poll worker to ask you to sign a form before you vote that explains you didn’t have an ID. Your ballot will be included with all others and counted on Election Day.

ID types you can use to check in are:

  • Michigan driver's license or state ID
  • Driver's license or personal identification card issued by another state
  • Federal, state or county government-issued photo identification
  • U.S. passport
  • Military ID with photo
  • Student identification with photo from a high school or accredited institution of higher learning
  • Tribal identification card with photo

SOS Home FAQ Forms Contact the Secretary of State FOIA ADA State Web Sites